[Freedombox-discuss] root/sudoer user credentials for freedombox-unstable_2015-08-07_virtualbox-amd64-hdd.vdi?

Sunil Mohan sunil at medhas.org
Sat Sep 12 17:53:08 UTC 2015

On 09/09/2015 09:24 PM, Amey Abhyankar wrote:
[...]
> That means testers/evaluators using VDI will be in big trouble.  :-)
> I was unable to find IP address of freedombox from virtualbox console.
> After logging using those credentials I was able to lookup ip address.  :-)
>
> I think home users will have following issues if those credentials are
> removed & if http is the only way to get access:-
>
> - Not having dedicated DHCP server means user can not confirm which IP
> freedombox host has taken.
> - Not having dedicated DNS server means user can not browse the server
> URL using host name unless added entry in /etc/hosts on both machine.
> - If I am on Ethernet network & assuming that ISP modem is issuing
> private IP to each device, more difficult to guess IP issued to
> freedombox after lease is expired. [Most times here in India, access
> to ISP modem/router is restricted.]
>
> Those are just some points came in my mind after going through IP
> issues over wi-fi.  :-)

I have proposal that we distribute a small utility to set passwords in
an image before it is written to SD card or used as VDI file.  The user
will have to download the image, run the tool to set a password on the
'fbx' user and then boot from the image.

With this tool, if someone wishes to distribute hardware, they can set
different random password for each hardware unit and stick a label to
notify the user of the password.

I wrote a script for doing this a while back but didn't submit it.  It
is time to dust it off and submit it.  Currently it handles setting the
user password.  In future, it can handle setting the default Wi-Fi
access point password.

--
Sunil