[Freewx-maint] Any plans for wxPython 4.0?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jan 24 18:47:09 UTC 2018

On 25 January 2018 at 04:10, Scott Talbert <swt at techie.net> wrote:
> Okay, I was planning to just use the freewx git where current wxWidgets and
> wxPython live, although I haven't run that by Olly yet.  Olly are you okay
> with that?

I'm not sure adding what's presumably essentially a new package
(certainly new upstream code) to the same repo is a good plan, as it
means that there's a lot of irrelevant history bloating every clone
(.git in my freewx.git clone is 234MB).  The only reason that both
wxWidgets and wxPython are in the same repo is that prior to wx 3.0
they were built from a single source package - wxPython classic
contains an entire copy of the wxWidgets source code so we used to
build and package that - so the history is common before that point.

I'd suggest creating a fresh repo on salsa.debian.org (we'll also need
to migrate freewx.git there in the near-ish future as alioth is going
away):

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/12/msg00003.html

Cheers,
    Olly