[Gnuk-users] TRNG output

flapflap flapflap at riseup.net
Thu Aug 27 15:18:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

NIIBE Yutaka:
> Hello,
>
> Fix to the last message of mine:
> While the thesis I referred is good to read (because it explain
> many related things), I should have referred this paper for the
> specific idea of use of ADC component as a source of entropy:
>
>     Fabio Pareschi, Gianluca Setti, Riccardo Rovatti
>     A Fast Chaos-based True Random Number Generator for Cryptographic Applications
>     http://www.researchgate.net/publication/224056101_A_Fast_Chaos-based_True_Random_Number_Generator_for_Cryptographic_Applications

You might also be interested in the CrypTech project
https://cryptech.is/ that aims to provide free SW and free HW design
cryptographic implementations, for example using the Novena board.

They use noisy diodes as entropy source that is fed into a Schmitt
trigger, and then, they measure /the time between rising edges/ instead
of sampling it with an ADC. They state:

"Many implementations on the Internet feed a similar signal into an ADC
(Analog Digital converter) and use the resulting data value at the time
of the sampling as entropy. The Cryptech project believes a more robust
way of extracting entropy is to instead feed the noise to a Schmitt
trigger and then measure the time between rising edges. This would be
more robust since any analog reading of the noise (such as with an ADC)
will be sensitive to changes in temperature, supplied voltage and
component aging."

http://wiki.cryptech.is/wiki/NoisyDiode

However, I cannot verify their claims.

Repo (with sources and schematics):