[Gnuk-users] gnuk-users Digest, Vol 107, Issue 3

Mike Tsao mike at sowbug.com
Thu Jan 11 06:48:23 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 7:17 PM Srinivas V <vsrinu26f at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do keytocard before setting passwords. Reason: there is nothing to
> encrypt. Seems some passwords are not stored. More secure.
>
> Regarding bricking: power off then power on then try swd flash.

I understand the rationale. Unfortunately, this leaves a window where the
keys' capabilities will be protected only by the default PINs. In most
cases this window will be brief, but it's quite foreseeable to be at work,
coworker and leaving the smart card in the open, accessible via 123456.

If I'm understanding the current gnuk code, the key-before-PIN policy is
also the mechanism of the implementation ("Gnuk 1.2 does validation of user
PIN by successful decryption of private key"), so it doesn't appear that
someone with a perspective like mine can easily or elegantly reconfigure
gnuk accordingly.