[Gnuk-users] gnuk-users Digest, Vol 107, Issue 3

Mike Tsao mike at sowbug.com
Thu Jan 11 20:26:24 UTC 2018

That's why tamper resistance is such a critical assumption -- otherwise you
can't use a short PIN. If you know the hardware is tamper-resistant, then
you can trust that the attacker will never obtain a copy of the ciphertext,
so you don't have to worry about offline brute-force attacks *even for a
6-digit PIN*. Instead you can trust that the retry lockout asserted by the
tamper-resistant hardware will prevent more than three incorrect tries,
which is not impossible to do but a reasonable tradeoff given the
significant usability of needing to remember only a short PIN. (I believe
the math is (999999÷1000000)×(999998÷999999)×(999997÷999998) = 99.9997%
chance of getting locked out rather than correctly guessing 6 numeric
digits, given a maximum of three attempts.)

> I was however assuming you are using a proper
> good passphrase for your GnuK.

If you still need a good passphrase, then there is no usability benefit
over pure desktop GnuPG -- in either case the experience is "start GPG
operation, enter long passphrase into pinentry dialog on desktop, complete
GPG operation."

There is a small bit of additional security from the fact that the private
key lives in a physical home that you can take with you or lock in a
lockbox. But if the threat model includes exfiltration of the encrypted
private key from that physical home, then that additional security is
largely imaginary; moreover, you don't need GnuK to make it possible to
lock a copy of your GPG key in a box.