issues with insserv and /var in local encrypted lvm

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Sun Apr 6 02:29:04 UTC 2008

Hello,

I just setup a new system with /var being a logical volume of an
encrypted local lvm volume group:

/dev/sda1			ext3 root partition
/dev/sdb1			encrypted disk partition
  /dev/mapper/sdb1		lvm volume group "vg01"
    /dev/mapper/vg01-var	lvm logical volume "var"
    /dev/mapper/vg01-...

I enabled dependency based boot system and according to
update-bootsystem-insserv everything was setup correctly.

But now I realized that both gpm and syslog-ng fail to stop at halt
process, as /var is not available any longer when the init.d stop script
is exececuted.
Adding $remote_fs to the Required-Stop LSB headers and rerunning
update-bootsystem-insserv fixes the issue, but I doubt that this is
really the propper fix. According to http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts
$local_fs is for init.d scripts which depend on /var being available,
and $remote_fs is only for init.d scripts which depend on /usr being
available.
Is this a documentation bug, or is the issue more complex?

If the former is the case, I'm happy to report bugreports against gpm
and syslog-ng, asking for $remote_fs to be added to LSB Required-*
headers.

greetings,
 jonas

PS: please Cc: me as I'm not subscribed to the list.