[kgb-maintainers] IRCS, IPv6, message formatting

gregor herrmann gregoa at debian.org
Sun Mar 10 17:55:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:32:39 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> ⓐ the connection to IRC uses Legacy IP (IPv4), not IP (IPv6):
> tg at freewrt:~ $ netstat -an|fgrep 6667
> tcp        0      0 217.11.62.67:38921      78.40.125.4:6667        ESTABLISHED

Ack, there's an issue with IPv6 in the POE::* stack:
POE::Component::Server::SOAP using POE::Component::Server::SimpleHTTP
using POE::Wheel::SocketFactory; the latter speaks IPv6 but
::SimpleHTTP doesn't expose this. Cf.

(I was also annoyed by this, kgb is about the only service on my
server not speaking IPv6.)

> ⓑ I couldn’t find where to tell it to use SSL for IRC (port 6697).

Hm, seems like this would need kgb-bot to have an option to use
POE::Component::IRC's UseSSL option.

> ⓒ the formatting of the messages leaves something to wish… it
>   spews multiple lines per commit into the channel; collapsing
>   it into one line (cut off after the regular IRC line length
>   limit) would be cooler

Already implemented: single_line_commits

> ⓒ₂ I found references to colours in the config; I hope these
>    are disabled by default? (they’re not shown in the channel
>    thanks to mode +c anyway, but increase traffic and reduce
>    the amount of chars until the line length limit is reached)

AFAIK they are enabled by default, at least I haven't seen KGB
messages without colours yet :)
(And I wouldn't want to have them all $fg-on$bg).

There's an option use-color for the client; TBH I can't see if it's
enabled by default or not (but the docs imply it's on).

Cheers,
gregor

   `-   NP: Aimee Mann: Jacob Marley's Chain