[Nut-upsdev] NUT shutdown on 'building alarm' (

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Sat Jun 3 18:42:38 UTC 2006

Kjell,

Thanks for your note.  I put my comments in-line below, with a couple of
questions.

>> My main question still stands. Do I need to modify the bcmxcp driver so
>> that a building alarm can be used to shut down the systems?  Or can this
>> be done with the 'stock' components?

> Look at the code on line 988 to 998 an you see that we take the LB
> from alarm map if it exist's.
>
> So it would be simple to check BCMXCP_ALARM_BUILDING_ALARM_1 that is
> declared on line 225.

That's exactly what I had in mind.  If I go this route, do I also need to
'clear' some flag if the alarm 'goes away'?

Our normal strategy is that if our UPS is on battery for more than 90
secs, we initiate a shutdown.  We want the same behavior for the
thermostat.  So if a 'glitch' causes the thermostat to close for 10 secs
then the systems are not shut down.

> I think it would be better to make the upsmon handle alarms. Then the
> code is in one place and drivers that support alarms should support
> sending them.

Obviously I would be very happy to see this!  In general it would be very
useful.  For example some sites might want to shut down if the power
frequency or voltage does outside some fixed limits, or if some UPS
components generate temperature alarms from being too hot.

> The time has been limited for me to work on the driver. It should
> support 3-phase info by now and some other fixes, but it's in the pipe.

Thank you for your work on this driver.  It's been very helpful to us.

Am I correct that supporting alarms requires 'widespead' changes to NUT,
not merely changes to the driver?

Cheers,
 	Bruce