[Nut-upsdev] NUT shutdown on 'building alarm' (

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sat Jun 3 19:29:11 UTC 2006

Bruce Allen wrote:

> Thanks for your note.  Do I understand correctly that your suggestion
> would involve running BOTH the bcmxcp driver (monitoring the Powerware
> 9315 UPS) and also running the genericups driver (monitoring the
> thermostat)?

Yes.

> If I have understood correctly, this is a good idea.  We're physicists
> so the idea of wiring a thermostat to a serial port doesn't scare us.

Good. I'm an electrical engineer myself and although I'm also one of the
developers of NUT, I prefer this solution over modifying a whole bunch
of other parts of the program. As someone else also mentioned, this will
be quite an effort.

> This would also make it easy to independently monitor the temperature at
> a number of different places in the room.

Sure, you can connect as many thermostats as you like this way.

Regards, Arjen