[Nut-upsdev] Fenton UPS driver -- unknown UPS report

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Jan 20 03:13:40 CET 2007

G'day.  I have a UPS here that is driven by the Fenton UPS driver, and
which requests that I report the ID string to the NUT developers:

root at anu:~# upsdrvctl start smk800
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
Network UPS Tools - Fenton UPS driver 1.22 (2.0.4)
Unknown ups - please report this ID string: #M+H             SMK-800    2000 V6.2
Detected Unknown MK-800 on /dev/ttyS0

The unit is badged as a "Power Tech" unit, model number SMK-800, and is
actually a Nikko/PowerTec Smart King LCD 800A.

The UPS works fine using the Fenton serial cable layout, and reports
almost perfect information:

root at anu:~# upsc smk800 at localhost
battery.charge: 100.0
battery.voltage: 2.40
driver.name: fentonups
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.version: 2.0.4
driver.version.internal: 1.22
input.frequency: 50.0
input.voltage: 246.0
output.voltage: 247.0
ups.load: 038
ups.mfr: M+H
ups.model: Unknown MK-800
ups.status: OL

Everything there is right except 'battery.voltage' -- the unit has a
2 x 12 volt batteries for 24 volt internally.  I presume that the 2.40
there is a scale problem rather than the expected result?

The battery.charge value also stays at 100 percent, which the 'BUGS'
section of the fentonups(8) manual page leads me to believe is probably
related to the scale bug in battery.voltage causing the software some
confusion.

State detection works fine, so far as I can tell, for on and off battery
changes.

If I can do anything further to help I am happy to do so, though I do
have NUT installed from the Debian packages and, consequently, would
find it easier to test binary versions of the UPS drivers rather than
source -- not that I can't manage either. :)

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/