[Nut-upsdev] Trouble detecting APC Smart-UPS connected via usb

Jon Sjöstedt jonsjostedt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 21:01:37 UTC 2010

2010/4/19 Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Jon Sjöstedt wrote:
>
>> I have installed the nut package from the OpenBSD 4.4 packages tree, nut-2.2.1p0
>>
>> I have a new APC Smart-UPS 750 which I plan to connect via USB. When I
>> try to start the usbhid-ups i get
>>
>> debug level is '2'
>> upsdrv_initups...
>> No appropriate HID device found
>> No matching HID UPS found
>
> On Redhat EL5, the udev system doesn't make the device nodes for the UPS
> accessible to nut by default.  Perhaps something similar is happening on
> OpenBSD.  In theory, there is some way to tweak the udev rules.  In practice,
> I find it simpler to do a chown in rc.local.

I've tried messing with device permissions, but it seems that whatever
i define as port, I get the same error. Example:
$ sudo usbhid-ups -DDD -a ups-closetmonster
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.32 ()

debug level is '3'
upsdrv_initups...
No appropriate HID device found
No matching HID UPS found
$ sudo usbhid-ups -DDD -a ups-closetmonster -x port=spunk

--
Jon Sjöstedt               _O_

jonsjostedt at gmail.com jonsjostedt at hotmail.com