[Nut-upsdev] Request to add new nut variable to get device part number

ChetanAgarwal at Eaton.com ChetanAgarwal at Eaton.com
Wed Apr 21 08:21:59 UTC 2010

> Have a look at the following list of variables that we already
support:

>      (device|ups).model
>      (device|ups).mfr
>      (device|ups).serial
>      (device|ups).type
>      (device|ups).firmware
>      (device|ups).firmware.aux
>      (device|ups).id
>
> 1) In what way is the suggested new variable name different from the
> ones above?

Device Part number is unique for all the devices and will help in
identify the device. This is provided by the manufacturer for the
particular device.
(device|ups).id seems to be relevant, but I guess, it is the identifier
for the device which can be r/w; and will be different for two devices
with same part number.

device.part can be a read-only value read from the device wherever
supported / applicable.

I was looking into BCMXCP TODO List and found part number as a value
provided in the Config Block.

As per XCP Protocol document,
---------------------------------
5.2 Identification and Configuration
The UPS must have a way of reporting its Identification and
Configuration information, including:
* Model name (must not have Manufacturer in the text)
* VA rating
* "manufacturer"
* Serial and model or CTO numbers
* Customer-set identification string
* nominal input and output volts, amps, VA, power, and frequency
* Identification of submodules: version, name or part #

device.part can be useful for identifying the ups.

> 2) Why do we need to be able to access this remotely?
>
> NUT is not an ERP system.

Part number is present for almost all the devices and can help identify
the model and other details using the part number.

Best Regards,
Chetan