[Nut-upsdev] Missing files in conversion

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Jan 12 22:45:48 UTC 2012

I can reproduce your list of missing files; I've written a make
production to generate it.

Something extremely odd is happening here.  I looked at the first such
case, clients/cgilib.h. When I grep for it in my generated nut.fi, I
see this:

grep -nH -e clients/cgilib.h nut.fi
nut.fi:77309:M 100644 :14 clients/cgilib.h
nut.fi:9602662:M 100644 :14 clients/cgilib.h
nut.fi:10381358:M 100644 :14 clients/cgilib.h

Here is what seems actually to be going on: The first instance is
initial  creation on the master branch.

The second and third instances are from branch creations.  This
reveals a minor bug - I shouldn't be generating duplicate modify
ops on branch creation.

The key point, though, is that no delete fileop is ever issued for the
master branch copy. So why it's not showing up in the checkout is, to
say the least, mysterious.  git-fast-import is not behaving in the
expected way.

[W]hat country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not
warned from time to time that [the] people preserve the spirit of
resistance?  Let them take arms...The tree of liberty must be
refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
	-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Col. William S. Smith, 1787