[Nut-upsdev] nut driver for SMS (brazil) UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 14:36:46 UTC 2014

please subscribe to the list:

On Feb 19, 2014, at 7:52 AM, Thiago Tiedtke dos Reis wrote:

> If I try to access the port  /dev/ttyUSB0 using minicon (minicom  -D /dev/ttyUSB0) or cat ( cat /dev/ttyUSB0 ), the access to device is denied.

even as root?

> Then, I try these instructions [0], but nothing changes when I try to open the serial port:

That blog is slightly misleading: if you have a USB UPS which pretends to be a serial port (/dev/ttyUSB0), then you do need to run the following commands:

$ sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
$ sudo udevadm trigger

or unplug and re-plug the UPS. Afterwards, 'ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0' should show the group as 'nut'.

Also, I noticed that the USB VID:PID matches that of the riello_usb driver (this may be a coincidence due to both UPS vendors using the Cypress USB-to-serial chip). You can give that driver a try as well.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail