[Nut-upsdev] Commanding the UPS on and off

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Wed Mar 11 13:29:39 UTC 2015

Now tackling sending the UPS commands to have it turn off and back on (with some delay), I'm just putting this out there to make sure I'm on the right track.  I want to design this to be as close as possible to "industry standard", or at least concensus.

Looking through the other HU_TYPE_CMDs out there, it seems that most UPSs use "UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeShutdown" for load.off.delay, and "UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeStartup" for load.on.delay.  Belkin appears to use custom codes (reserved for vendors), which I know I could do, but guess I don't see the reason for doing so yet.

So basically, when someone uses load.off.delay as a command to the UPS, then the value they pass through is how many seconds they want the UPS to wait before disconnecting the power to the CPU.  That is the time in which you HOPE the system shuts down successfully.

You also (can) pass in load.on.delay, which should be a value larger than load.off.delay.  That tells the UPS that even if wall power comes back, do not switch on the UPS load until X seconds have passed.  This makes sure the system has fully shut down, and power is removed...before it is applied again.  This ensures that the system will startup again.

Have I got the right idea?  It seems like those two commands will take care of most I need to have the UPS do.

Sincerely,
Rob Groner

Software Engineer
RTD Embedded Technologies, Inc.