[Nut-upsuser] Adding TrippLite SMART550 / Protocol 2001 Support

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 03:59:09 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Anthony J. Ciani <aciani1 at uic.edu> wrote:
> I have added preliminary support for the TrippLite protocol number 2001
> into tripplite_usb.c.  The attached file is supplied as a patch against
> today's SVN.
>
> This patch adds support for TrippLite SMART550USB and some Omni models.
>
> Tested are On Line, On Battery, Battery Good, and Battery Bad indication.
> Everything else seems to work, but this UPS is attached to a critical
> system, and I can only do limited testing.

Cool!

> As an aside, tripplite_usb.c seems to need nut ownership of
> /proc/bus/XXX/YYY in order to work, as opposed to /dev/hid/hiddevX.  It
> would be nice to get this "fixed".

The hiddev interface is not portable to other OSes, so we use libusb
instead. (See the nut-upsdev archives for more info on hiddev.) We are
slowly adding hotplug and udev rules for all of the NUT-supported
devices, and we should be able to change permissions for the TrippLite
UPSes with those rules.

--
- Charles Lepple