[Nut-upsuser] Can't get 'load.off' to turn off power to the PC: CyberPower 1200AVR

Mark E. Hansen meh at Winfirst.Com
Mon Sep 17 20:13:35 UTC 2007

On 09/17/07 12:45, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Mark E. Hansen wrote:
>
>>> Apparently, the granualarity on you UPS is 1 minute and it will report the
>>> final time as -60 seconds. This is odd and violates the HID Power Devices
>>> specification. Having said that, it will probably also violate this with
>>> regard to the fact that a zero delay is a valid value and may expect
>>> something like 60 seconds here as minimum delay.
>> Is it possible that these values are the result of my trying to change
>> these settings?
>
> Not very likely. Looking at the HID values your UPS supports, it doesn't
> look like you can change the units it reports.
>
>> I don't remember specifically which settings I was trying
>> to change, but I was trying to configure the UPS to request a shutdown of
>> my PC earlier during the power failure. Currently, it waits until the
>> battery is nearly depleted, which leaves no battery after the power comes
>> back on.
>
> You can probably change that through upsrw (see 'man 8 upsrw'). You'll
> want to change the value for 'battery.charge.low', which is currently
> set at 10%, which is indeed a bit low. Running
>
> 	upsrw myupsname
>
> should list all the variables that you can modify.

I did this, and it shows (among others):

[battery.charge.low]
Remaining battery level when UPS switches to LB (percent)
Type: STRING
Value: 10

So I tried to change it, using:

  upsrw -s battery.charge.low=20 -u myadminuser -p mypass myupsname

The command completes successfully, and I see a /var/log/messages log
to that effect, but the value doesn't change.

> [...]
>
>> I built the package from the sources, and I can certainly do that again.
>> I can also switch to the development version, if you think that would
>> make things easier. Will I be able to use my existing configuration files?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If you think I should, I will work on downloading the development version
>> and get it built and installed and working (as much as the current version
>> is working, that is). It would be easier for me to just make changes to the
>> existing version and re-build/install it, but I'll let you decide which
>> you think is best.
>
> Go for the development version. That has a much improved usbhid-ups
> driver, which also allows for better debugging.

Okay, I'll download this and get it installed/configured.

> Alternatively, you might use upsrw and experiment with the value of
> 'ups.delay.shutdown', which changes the same value in the UPS as the
> 'load.off' command will. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a
> 'ups.delay.restart', so you will need to press the power button to
> switch the output back on again.

Well, using upsrw to set ups.delay.shutdown to various values appears to
accept the value, but no change is made to the actual value.

> Best regards, Arjen

Thanks again, Arjen. I'll let you know once I have the new software up
and running.