[Nut-upsuser] 2.2.2-pre2 64 bit rpm tested on openSUSE 10.3

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 14:23:27 UTC 2008

2008/4/20, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org>:
> Roger Price wrote:
>  >> As you are using a usb ups, you may use this instead of the nut package.
>  >> If you install it, the ups gets hotplugged by udev hal and would show up as a
>  >> battery in the power monitor in Gnome. (should be the same in KDE)
>  >>
>  >> So no configuration or anything. Just plug it in and it should work.
>  >
>  > Hello Kjell, I guess that there would be some configuration, for example
>  > to say after what interval shutdown would start, and to specify the
>  > shutdown command.
>

> No, that would all be done automatically. The built-in defaults should
>  take care of that. If these somehow are not what you need, you just
>  can't use the HAL enabled drivers. Using configuration files is a no-no
>  here and pretty much defeats the whole purpose of setting things up
>  automatically.

well, to be exact, the whole HAL is to have a centralized and common
framework, with default settings. For example, upon reaching the
critical battery level (should it be an UPS or a laptop battery), the
default is to shutdown, but you might configure the box to
hibernate...

>  [...]
>

>  > For me power monitoring should, like justice, not only be done but be seen
>  > to be done: I have gotten used to the screen display provided by
>  > mgeups-psp so I installed nut-2.2.2-pre2.x86_64.rpm and mgeups-psp-3.0.4-2
>

> I'm not sure how well this works, but Arnaud is the expert on this. He
>  can probably answer this authoritatively.

well, what I've in mind for many years is to replace PSP by the IPM
(aka the HAL integration, nut-hal-drivers...). The GUI is the generic
one, so Gnome Power Manager or any equivalent.
So the job is done, and seen as done. Like justice, but here we really
serve the user ;-)

Note that a difference with PSP is that PSP supports both serial and
USB (so there's a need for autodetection, which is not the case
somehow with HAL), and to rely on a bare NUT, so we also need to
configure things and let the user being able to customize a bit
more...

>  [...]
>

>  > # /etc/ups/upssched.conf
>  > CMDSCRIPT /usr/sbin/upssched-cmd
>  > #PIPEFN /var/state/ups/upssched.pipe
>  > #LOCKFN /var/state/ups/upssched.lock
>  > PIPEFN /var/run/ups/upssched.pipe
>  > LOCKFN /var/run/ups/upssched.lock
>  > AT ONBATT * START-TIMER ups-on-battery-timer 121
>  > AT ONLINE * CANCEL-TIMER ups-on-battery-timer
>  > AT ONBATT * EXECUTE ups-on-battery
>  > AT ONLINE * EXECUTE ups-back-on-line
>  >
>  > There is no /var/state in openSUSE 10.3, so I changed PIPEFN and LOCKFN to
>  > /var/run and defined directory /var/run/ups.
>

> We need a pre3 to fix this since this has been a long standing bug. This
>  path is hardcoded in the example configuration, where running
>  ./configure should set this path properly. In fact, Charles fixed this
>  in the trunk, but apparently we didn't backport the fix to Testing. Good
>  catch!

+1

>  > And now, flags waving and fireworks for the grand opening:
>  >
>  > glacon2:~ # rcupsd start
>  > Starting NUT UPS drivers             done
>  > Starting NUT UPS server              done
>  > Starting NUT UPS monitor             done
>  >
>  > There is no sign of action by mgeups-psp, no window, no icon.
>

> Again, Arnaud should be able to tell if this is good or bad.

I may have missed something, but is the PSP installed?
has it been recompiled (we don't support anything else than x86 for
the moment!)?
You can fire up a psp from a console, using "psp -d" for having debug output.

Also note that the PSP 3.0.4 is the one provided by MGE *UPS Systems*.
I don't think this one is maintained anymore, so you really want to
switch to the MGE *Office Protection Systems" which is the 3.0.6 one,
available here:
http://opensource.mgeops.com/index.php/projects/psp

A source RPM for SuSE is also available, but I'm not sure it's x64 ready!
http://opensource.mgeops.com/stable/sources/suse/

Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - MGE Office Protection Systems - http://www.mgeops.com