[Nut-upsuser] Q about UPS features / NUT support

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 09:31:32 UTC 2008

Bonjour Laurent,

2008/1/20, Laurent GUERBY <laurent at guerby.net>:
> Hi,
>
> I have several Linux machines at home and I'm considering buying a UPS
> for them. I see that many models are supported by NUT (great!) but since
> I'm new to the UPS world I have some questions about UPS features and
> NUT support of them I couldn't find an answer for:
>
> 1/ are there UPS models who report/meter power usage through USB? per
> UPS socket or globally?

yes, MGE Office Protection Systems (the NUT sponsor).
I've developed the USB support for MGE at first, but letting the door
opened to other mfrs so that adding new mfr support was easy.

> 2/ are there UPS models who allow turning off/on power on a socket
> through USB? (so allow remote hard reboot)

yes, MGE Office Protection Systems (again).
I've also developed the powersave function (outlet collection) support
for MGE at first...

> If there exist UPS models with these features, are they supported by
> NUT?
>
> The closest thing I found to answering these questions is the
> file nut-2.2.1/docs/new-names.txt which has entries that
> look interesting:
>
>  ups.realpower
>  battery.voltage
>  battery.capacity
>  battery.current
>  output.voltage
>  output.current
> => it's unclear wether when not running on battery you get instant power
> usage information as I want for 1/, and these look global not per
> socket. Also which models do support those reporting?

we don't support reporting the load per outlet though...
only switching on/off immediately, or based upon a remaining battery
charge or timer.

>  outlet.n.switchable
>  outlet.n.switch
>  outlet.n.delay.shutdown
>  outlet.n.delay.shutdown
> => seems to be what I want for 2/, but I couldn't find which UPS model
> do "support" this control and which don't.

see above

> I also found:
>
> http://www.vamos-wentworth.org/upsinfo.html

this is outdated, and I should remove this link.
I plan to enhance the Compatibility information to allow something like:
- reporting the NUT support level
- reporting the manufacturer support level
- reporting the NUT features level

> The is a "powerdown" column but I'm not sure it's related to the above
> and there is also "Switchable outlets" but there is only one model where
> the number of switchable outlets is mentionned ("Pulsar ESV 8"), does
> that mean it's zero for all other models?

no, see above.

> Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed obvious documents in my
> searches,

I hope to have answered your question.
Best regards,
Arnaud