[Nut-upsuser] Megatec_USB on OpenBSD 4.3 - again...

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Oct 28 16:19:40 UTC 2008

Citeren ng-sup01 at mclink.it:

>  Thanks to the precious help from Henning Brauer, I managed to solve
> an issue with my UPS (a rebranded UPS speaking in Ablerex-ese over USB).
> Under OpenBSD 4.3, the UPS was claimed by HID.

Wait a minute, if OpenBSD claimed this device, chances are that it was
providing a USB to serial port also. Usually these are called
something like /dev/ttyUSB0 in Linux, I don't know what OpenBSD does
with it. In that case, you should run the megatec driver on the serial
port, not the megatec_usb driver.

The megatec_usb driver attempts to provide the bare functionality that
is required for a USB to serial converter (when not supported by the
kernel) and then uses the megatec driver core to speak to it. But if
the first is already supported by the kernel (if it claims it, chances
are that it is) there is no need for that.

Please keep list traffic on the list