[Nut-upsuser] PowerOff on Debian, and driver issues

Marc Franquesa mark at l3jane.net
Mon Feb 22 20:06:52 UTC 2010

> Please let us know the version of Debian (at the very least), and
> preferably the exact package version and revision.

Oh!!!, Sorry what a big mistake!!!

Debian Lenny 5.0 (Stable release)
nut 2.2.2-6.4

I had been searching in the scripts and the exact problem is:

the /etc/init.d/halt initscript (which does the shutdwon of the system)
checks if we are doing a poweroff or a halt.

This script **ONLY** calls ups-monitor to do the ups shutdown if we are
'powering off' the system. The problem is that after ups-monitor send
the shutdown to the UPS the control returns to the halt script that
efectively 'powers off' the system via ACPI. Then when the power returns
the system don't boots up automatically (beacause has been powered off).

If we configure 'halt' to do a real halt (via /etc/default/halt or
SHUTDOWNCMD=shutdown -hH) then halt doesn't call ups-monitor and then
the UPS doesn't cut de power.

My own aproch to this is to ALWAYS call ups-monitor and then rely on
POWERDOWNFLAG.