[Nut-upsuser] [NUT-upsuser] How to NUT test the compatibility?

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed May 23 13:59:07 UTC 2012

Hi Andrew,

2012/5/20 Andrew Min Chang <laplacezhang at 126.com>:
> Hi, Charles
>
> I red the section you mentioned. As the same reason we are finding a way to
> test our device with as more types of UPS device. I tried Google and did not
> find the service I mentioned.

if you think about Eaton validation, there is no official service.
we are going through our internal process to validate that NUT is
working with our devices.

> So it is quite hard to test most UPSes easily? Is the best way for testing
> is to be partner of UPS manufacturers? I see...

that's an option.

another one is to rely on the fact that all NUT reported devices are
working (so drivers-upsd-upsmon works)
and then validate on your side your NUT integration, by using:
- dummy-ups, the simulation driver, that allows to mimic any kind /
number of devices,
- use some test suite, such as the below one, to validate your whole
integration:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-bugcontrol/qa-regression-testing/master/view/head:/scripts/test-nut.py

> Oh, by the way, I found a list on Internet, just the same as NUT
> compatibility list. But it did NOT mentioned its source. The link is:
> http://www.thecus.com/Downloads/Compatible_List/UPS_List_v1.0_ALL.pdf
> I am afraid this may be illegal.

there is nothing illegal here:
they simply bundle NUT in their NAS, and publish an excerpt of NUT
compat list that matches the NUT drivers they're shipping.
so this is something that we heavily support.
that even reminded me that I should add it to the list of known
devices integrating NUT:
trac.networkupstools.org/projects/nut/changeset/3622

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com