[Nut-upsuser] Problem with ups-dummy driver (repeater mode)

Jonathan Gammell jon.gammell at utoronto.ca
Sat Jan 3 01:15:57 UTC 2015

On 15-01-01 08:57 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2015, at 8:23 PM, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 1, 2015, at 4:57 PM, Jonathan Gammell <jon.gammell at utoronto.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>    [ups]
>>>        driver = dummy-ups
>>>        port = eaton1
>>>        desc = "Dummy UPS"
>>
>> There is a typo in the specification of "port =" in the dummy-ups man page, but your configuration file is effectively looking for a simulation file named 'eaton1'. The presence of an "@" character enables repeater mode. If you change this to 'port = eaton1 at localhost', things should work as you described.
>
> I should also mention a pair of options that were introduced in 2.7.2: maxretry and retrydelay.
>
>     http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/ups.conf.html#_global_directives
>
> I haven't used dummy-ups in production (I just use the other mode to simulate an UPS) but I suspect there might be a race condition if upsdrvctl starts dummy-ups before both usbhid-ups instances connect to upsd.
>
> Not sure if there is a backport of NUT 2.7.2 to 12.04, but it might be worth looking into. Or you could manually add something to rc.local that restarts dummy-ups if it is not running, but usbhid-ups is.

Thanks Charles,

You're right that it should be "eaton1 at localhost". That was actually
just a one-off mistake in making a simple example to post. The errors
are the same even with the correct "@localhost". I will look into
whether there's a backport to 12.04, as a race condition seems logical.
I'm glad to hear that my use case should be supported though, as I was a
little unsure.

Thanks,
Jon