[Nut-upsuser] Best Power FE700VA?

David Melik dchmelik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 08:00:04 UTC 2018

On 02/20/2018 06:16 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
> Do you have a pinout for that cable?

Unsure, but after recent suggestions, it may be working.  Already had
NUT from SlackBuilds.org (SBo) installed, but reinstalled to add the
group:user.

> I forget if it is the default, but you might need to turn off the hardware and software flow control (minicom: Ctrl-A then letter O, "Serial port setup"). I would also recommend double-checking the serial port name (sometimes motherboards swap the headers around).
>
> That said, if you have a maintenance window, it may be worth trying the bestfcom driver directly. It will set up all of the serial port parameters, and attempt to get an identification string.
>
> I'm not sure if this is the recommended place to get NUT for Slackware, but this looks promising: https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/nut/

I don't have a maintenance window but sounded like recent suggestions
were easier.  Some official Slackware team members run SlackBuilds.org
but its software isn't official... I call some quasi-official, and some
gets added/redone for Slackware later.

> For testing, you only need to do the first two steps (through "usermod -a -G dialout nut") after building. Then, add a section to ups.conf that looks like this:
>
> [ups]
> 	driver = bestfcom
> 	port = /dev/ttyS0 ### replace with the actual serial port name.
>
> Then you can launch the driver with at least one "-D" flag:
>
> /usr/libexec/nut/bestfcom -a ups -D

I thought there was a lot more to it than that, but after I ran that
stuff, the driver outputs.  However, /etc/rc.d/rc.ups initialization
script might not do anything yet (only the command you gave, also when
forked, or it will continue using the tty.)

Here's output I got within the last few minutes, just wondering how to
complete configuration now (if this is working)...

root at darwinheim:~# Network UPS Tools - Best Ferrups/Fortress driver 0.12
(2.7.4)

Warning: This is an experimental driver.

Some features may not function correctly.

    0.000000     debug level is '1'

     8.434336  UPS Time: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 16:01:08

   26.245736     Best Power Ferrups FE700 detected

   26.245755     Battery voltages: 13.58 nominal, 14.90 full, 11.00 low,
10.50 empty

:D
--D