[Nut-upsuser] problem with nut APC BackUPS RS 1500 (white)

p1_p1_p1 at seznam.cz p1_p1_p1 at seznam.cz
Wed Mar 28 09:51:10 UTC 2018

i have tested maxretry + retrydelay with ups in usb 2.0 port with same
result - driver cant start automaticaly, after two manual starts is nut
running, so no difference if i specify maxretry 10 retrydelay 20 or 30 or 60
and same results -
driver wont start automaticaly

so i moved with this ups today to test it on 3 another VMware servers and
that coincidence works well, i have installed new fresh centos VM,
downloaded nut, installed, tried ups on
DELL T130 USB 2.0 - nut driver fails to autostart, after 2-3 manual starts
it runs, also tried maxretry+ retrydelay also with no difference, ups
plugged in USB 3.0, VM usb root hub also 3.0 too and it works!

HP PROLIANT ML110 gen6?or5? + usb addon card 1.1 in PCI slot so i tried 1.1
first - and ups fails with allmost same results, also tried to plug ups into
onboard usb 2.0 and leave usb 2.0 root hub in VM - FAILS! so removed VM
usb2.0 and added VM usb3.0 hub and ups works great! also i entered into HP
bios and switched USB form 2.0 to 1.1 starndard, booted and tested results
in VM (onboard forced to 1.1usb and VM usb 3.0hub) runs automaticaly but
sometimes ups disconnects, also i switched VM usb to 2.0 and fails again!

unknown DELL rackmount with i5-7500 8g ram - usb 2.0 with VM usb 2.0 fails,
usb 2.0 with VM usb 3.0 fails/disconnects, usb 3.0 with VM usb 2.0 fails,
usb 3.0 with VM usb 3.0 runs OK

so it looks like some problem with VM ESXi 2.0 HUB but also with slower
speed native USB hubs and/or combinations,
hope this helps anyone trying to run big BackUPS on ESXi - also note i have
BackUPS 1500 BLACK - newer and there are no problems
with this newer black model - this one works well same as SmartUPS 1000,
SmartUPS1500, SmartUPS750

dunno if NUT developers can solve this issue somehow, but after week of
problems this looks like workaround.