[Nut-upsuser] Using NUT to signal an appliance

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue May 15 00:29:32 BST 2018

On May 14, 2018, at 4:47 PM, Matthew.Koundakjian at Engility.com wrote:

> Charles, thank you for the thoughtful and helpful reply!
>
> The ACNC box uses an RS232 serial interface for UPS connection.

Whoops, I thought I saw something about USB in your original email.

A null-modem serial cable would be easier to build (for the smart interface), but I think a good portion of what I mentioned applies to serial as well as USB (on the software side). It would probably be a lot simpler to emulate a serial UPS than a USB UPS. You still might get more APC-specific information from the apcupsd.org lists, though the code for either the NUT apcsmart serial driver or the equivalent apcupsd serial driver would be a good starting point to build such an emulator.