[Nut-upsuser] after power outage and proper shutdown, UPS turns on before power returns

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:59:09 BST 2018

On Sep 27, 2018, at 6:59 PM, Gabriel <jarod125 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm struggling with a peculiar issue with my UPS. After a power
> outage, the devices powered by it properly shut down via nut.
> Eventually, the UPS also goes down. Power is still out, however,
> roughly 40 seconds after the UPS shut down, it turns back on and it
> starts supplying power to the load, thus turning back on the devices
> attached to it. This is obviously not something I want. In trying to
> figure out the problem, the closest I've come was the ondelay
> parameter, but that only comes in play after the power returns, so it
> shouldn't apply here.

Hi Gabriel,

sorry for the delay - I am still working through a bit of a backlog here.

We have a few other open CyberPower issues listed here: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/labels/CyberPower%20%28CPS%29

If you wouldn't mind checking through them to see if the Value line produces similar debug output to the others listed there, that would be most helpful.

One theme with some of the CPS timeout issues is that the user-specified timer values are rounded down to the nearest minute. So an offdelay of 20 is probably a corner case. That may not be the fix for your issue, but I would recommend using "offdelay=60" and "ondelay = 120" to attempt to separate the issues.

Also, it would be helpful to compare the debug log for running the driver with the "-k" option to kill power (as you did before when obtaining the driver debug output, the rest of NUT will need to be stopped). I would recommend doing this with the machine plugged into another power source, so that you can keep capturing the logs without the rest of the system powering down unexpectedly.

> The UPS in question is a CyberPower Value600ELCD. Its USB port is
> connected to my router which runs an up-to-date Debian testing with
> nut-{driver,monitor,server} version 2.7.4-8 installed via apt. I'm
> pasting ups.conf below and attaching output from upsc, upsrw and
> /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DD -a cyberpower.

Depending on the results of the shutdown debug logs, we might need to patch the driver. Here are instructions for getting the build environment set up: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/wiki/Building-NUT-on-Debian,-Raspbian-and-Ubuntu

Thank you for a very detailed bug report.

[when replying, please use reply-all - the list does not munge reply-to headers]