[Nut-upsuser] NUT with Geekworm x728 UPS Hat on RPi?

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Nov 5 20:21:17 GMT 2020

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020, Nick Ellson wrote:

> I searched the forum from the website and didn’t get any hits, so I thought I’d ask here.
> I have an RPi 4B running Home Assistant. It has the NUT integration, and I have a Geekworm X728 UPS Hat installed.
>
> It has an I2C interface for reading data.
>
> https://raspberrypiwiki.com/X728-Software
>
> I was wondering if NUT supports that?

Not in its current form.  The installation script seems to be generating two
Python2 scripts which very approximately play the role of a driver attached to
NUT's upsd.  To get this to work with NUT means writing a C language X728 driver
based on the Python2 scripts.  Whether it's possible to write a upsd driver in
Python3 is an open question.

Roger

Health warning. Python2 is now well past its end-of-life. No support, not even
security updates. It's urgent for X728 to migrate to Python3.