[Nut-upsuser] APC SmartUPS powercycles when power returns

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Tue Oct 11 13:29:46 BST 2022

Hello.

I've got an APC SmartUPS 1500: it's connected via USB and I'm using the
usbhid-ups driver. This used to work properly until recently.

Now, when power goes out it keeps on going on battery potentially for
several minutes, but, the moment line returns, I hear a click and power
is cycled on the outlets (so every computer is rebooted forcily).

I'm thinking about a hardware issue, but could it be that NUT is
instructing it to do so?

All I see in the logs before the nasty event is: "upsmon[89989]: UPS
APC at localhost on battery".
So I don't think a low battery status was reached and/or a shutdown
initiated.

# upsc APC
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 50
battery.runtime: 3540
battery.runtime.low: 120
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 27.1
battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
device.mfr: American Power Conversion
device.model: Smart-UPS 1500
device.serial: AS1425215186
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 15
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.pollonly: true
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.synchronous: auto
driver.version: 2.8.0
driver.version.data: APC HID 0.98
driver.version.internal: 0.47
driver.version.usb: libusb-1.0.0 (API: 0x1000102)
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.firmware: UPS 08.8 / ID=18
ups.mfr: American Power Conversion