[Nut-upsuser] Setting up charge/voltage based shutdowns

Arnaldo Viegas de Lima arnaldo at viegasdelima.com
Sun Aug 6 17:04:54 BST 2023

I think it can be useful in a scenario like:

- Large UPS, that powers 2 hosts: one is VMServer with just a small boot driver and the second is a NAS with all the disks for the first server.
- UPS is connected by USB to another host (such as a small Raspberry PI), acting as the NUT primary.
- Both machines served by UPS are NUT secondaries.
- The NAS box can only shutdown one the VMware is fully stopped to avoid corruption at several levels.

If the secondaries can define their one parameters for initiating the shutdown, one can decide something like:

- VMware will shutdown at 20% battery left OR 15min of runtime left
- NAS will shutdown at 10% ou 8min left

Another approach is to attempt to define a way to sync secondaries… but that’s much more complex.

Arnaldo.