[Nut-upsuser] Do we need both Nut-upsuser and Nut-upsdev ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Aug 7 18:07:08 BST 2023

Roger Price <roger at rogerprice.org> writes:

> I would like to suggest that we merge the two mailing lists
> Nut-upsuser and Nut-upsdev.
>
> 1. Users increasingly post simultaneously to both lists.  One list is
> sufficient.

IMHO it's poor form to post to both, generally, unless it's an
annoucement.  The only reason to have a dev list is to spare the people
on the users list from getting content that is discussing changing the
code.

> 2. The very detailed technical discussions which previously justified
> a second Nut-upsdev list now take place on github.com/networkupstools
> , for example https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/2013 “Define
> upsd option to LISTEN * as specifically handling both IPv4 and IPv6
> "ANY" address”.

Sort of.

The use of github isn't really a great thing.  It moves discussions from
a place where the set of people interested in nut code are to github,
and while people can subscribe all, it's way too much.  I get it that
detailed code review is there, but I think the larger picture
discussions belong on email.

I don't think it matters much one way or the other if we merge dev into
user -- I'm not one of the people seeking to avoid the dev content, and
list traffic isn't that high anyway.