[PKG-Openstack-devel] Please don't remove gbp.conf from openstack packaging repos

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 5 13:36:16 UTC 2017

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
> No, we don't use pristine-tar in the OpenStack team in Debian

If you want to make sure that no one uses pristine-tar in your repos,
the correct way is to set that in debian/gbp.conf. I have to keep
pristine-tar = True in my personal config because I touch a large
number of repos that I don't control and pristine-tar is usually the
right thing.

> [DEFAULT]
> ignore-branch = True

It's fine to set that option but there's no need for every developer
to set that themselves. Just set it in the repo itself. Therefore, why
don't you restore debian/gbp.conf with this:

[DEFAULT]
ignore-branch = True
pristine-tar = False

I suggest you'd also want to add a line like this if you are afraid of
'gbp buildpackage' trying to use tags instead of tarballs:
tarball-dir = ../tarballs

> All of this has been discussed at large during the Debconf 17 sprint in
> Montreal with people from the team. I find it not appropriate to wake up
> *after* we uploaded everything to Debian. At most, you should have
> noticed it 3 months ago, when Daniel did the change on all repositories
> when we were in Montreal. Now is too late, after all was uploaded to
> Sid, and we're starting functional testing.

You're seriously complaining that I don't monitor your git repos? Or
that I should have attended Debconf if I want to contribute to Debian?

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha