[Oval-devel] Small current-status report

Pavel Vinogradov Pavel.Vinogradov at nixdev.net
Tue Jul 17 15:51:16 UTC 2007

  2007/7/17, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs at computer.org>:
> Use lsb-release for this. However, you cannot use its package version but,
> rather, have to parse the contents of the execution of 'lsb_release'. That or
> read the contents of /etc/debian_version to determine the version you're in.
  I try lsb_release on three machines with Debian, there result:
1.
lsb_release -a                                                         [20:21]
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Release:	stable
Codename:	sid
2.
lsb_release -a
-bash: lsb_release: command not found
3.
lsb_release -a
-bash: lsb_release: command not found

  Maybe i missed something, but i see that lsb_release not useless for now.
ps. All machines - Debian Etch with some backports and security updates.

> Notice that for non-released versions the contents of /etc/debian_version are
> useless. In this situations you should just check the package version.
  In this case we need logic:
debian_release = \d.\d -> check packages from appropriate section in data file.
else check packages from section with maximum number.

  Comments?
--
Pavel Vinogradov
NixDev.Net, Senior Linux Developer