[Po4a-devel]Non breaking spaces in man pages

Martin Quinson martin.quinson@loria.fr
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:30:44 +0200

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 01:25:55PM +0200, Nicolas Fran=E7ois wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I would like to resume this discussion.
>=20
> First, a small (and maybe biased) summary:
> Jordi raised two issues regarding non-breaking spaces generated by po4a in
> th PO:
>   * Using them in ASCII PO is not valid
>   * non breaking spaces are not distinguishable from spaces
>     (this is more an editor issue, IMHO)
> To fix this, an option with-non_breaking_spaces (disabled by default) was
> added.
> Then Denis indicated that the POT should be unique (which is not if a
> language choose to enable and another one to disable this option).
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I propose to remove the with-non_breaking_spaces option (and
> with-hyphen_to_minus).This should solve the above points.
>=20
> The only drawback I can see is that translators will have to be aware that
> "\\ " in a msgid is a non-breaking space (they will be able to use real
> non-breaking spaces in their translations if they want).
>=20
> Do you agree with the removal of these options?

I personally agree. It makes sense. You may want to document the fact that
non-breaking spaces are still allowed in translations.

Thanks for your time,
Mt.

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb--