[Po4a-devel] typo in po4a.7

Robert Luberda robert at debian.org
Tue Apr 18 16:29:21 UTC 2006

Nicolas François wrote:

Hi,

Sorry about the delay, I was on short Easter holidays ;)

> However, I would like to also generate the Polish pages.
>
> Robert, can you check whether they are readable?
> http://haydn.debian.org/~nekral-guest/po4a/pl/

No, they aren't.

> I'm not sure the ± or ¶ are correct, and I could not change
> the content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" field (this could be fixed
> automatically in html-build-upload.sh if the ± and ¶ are
> correct).
The ±, ¶ and other HTML entites are rendered as appropriate
ISO-8859-1 characters (i.e. ± or ¶ instead of the Polish "ą" or "ś"
chars) regardless of the charset set declared in the page and this will
never work for Polish pages.

To make the pages readable by the Polish people, you should:

1) declare charset as ISO-8859-2 and put the same 8-bit characters as in
the man pages (without converting them to any HTML entities)

or

2) declare charset as UTF-8 and use appropriate UTF-8 chars (U+0105,
U+0160 and others encoded in UTF-8) just like in the PO files.

or

3) declare whatever charset you want, and use the Unicode HTML entities
like ą, ś or ą, ś

However, I would consider 3 as the worst solution.

Regards,
robert