[Po4a-devel] XML: prevent some attributes from being translated

Nicolas François nicolas.francois at centraliens.net
Mon Feb 23 17:22:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 05:07:07PM +0100, poy at 123gen.com wrote:
>>> 3) the caption of the link is cut out of its context; i would love the
>>> following:
>>> msgid "abc <placeholder0>click here</placeholder0> def"
>>> msgstr ""
>>
>> I cannot do this in po4a.
>> This would require a standard to put links in PO files.
>
> oh this is not what i meant... i don't want the ability to jump between
> one translation and another inside a PO file, not at all.
> i meant to show an example of a text which would be hard to translate if
> it were cut out of its context, ie the fact that the text englobed in the
> placeholder isn't inlined within the rest of the message.
>
> a better example:
>
> Welcome to our project. Make sure you download it from the <a
> href="alioth.debian.../po4a">official site</a>!
>
> that would result in these 2 separate translations:

Yes, it might be a drawback of placeholders.
But it will highly depend on which tags are added to the placeholder
category. Currently, Xhtml has none.

You can have a look at Docbook.pm, where I added more placeholders (e.g.
<funcprototype>, ...)

If useful, I could also provide an option to indicate that placeholders
should be changed to inline if they have less than XXX characters.
Currently, I don't think it is necessary. Placeholders should be used when
the block is context free enough so that translation can be reused.

Best Regards,
--
Nekral