[Python-apps-team] using cloud-init: how???

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Tue Dec 4 15:53:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

so I want to use cloud-init to prepare an image for a cloud. As I also want to
create Squeeze images, I started with building the cloud-init package (from
experimental) on squeeze, which is rather straightforward: build+install
python-mocker (sources in wheezy) on squeeze, then build cloud-init.

But then, trying to install it, I get this:

# dpkg -i cloud-init_0.6.3-2_all.deb
Selecting previously deselected package cloud-init.
(Reading database ... 12146 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cloud-init (from cloud-init_0.6.3-2_all.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cloud-init:
 cloud-init depends on ifupdown (>= 0.6.10ubuntu5); however:
  Version of ifupdown on system is 0.6.10.

Which is trivial to force, but am I right that this should be fixed to depend
on 0.6.10 - at least for Debian? Ah, I now see this fix is already in svn
trunk. good.

But then I'm at loss what to do next... /usr/share/doc/cloud-init/ is not
really enlightening at all...

Also I'm still at loss what this package is supposed to do.

According to the description it's what I want:

 System to handle early initialization of a cloud instance. Cloud-init can for
 example set a default locale and a host name, generate SSH private host keys,
 add SSH keys to a user's .ssh/authorized_keys so they can log in, and set up
 ephemeral mount points.
 .
 Cloud-init's behavior can be configured via user-data, given by the user at
 instance launch time.

But I dont see how to use it at all. Any pointers?

Else I can achieve what I want with a few bash commands as well...

cheers,
	Holger