[Python-apps-team] Removing Trac from wheezy?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Apr 3 14:09:12 UTC 2013

On 04/03/2013 07:45 AM, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> As a consequence, trac 0.12.5-1, the latest and only LTS version
> from upstream, will not be in the archive anymore. Wheezy has,
> unfortunately, 0.12.3-1. Using 0.12.3 will not be attractive for
> users of wheezy, if a 1.0.x backport exists. I therefore suggest
> to remove trac and its plugins from wheezy.

experimental is a separate archive from unstable.  we can still put
0.12.5 into unstable now if we want; and we can even review the
changeset between 0.12.3 and 0.12.5 and propose it for the first point
release on wheezy if we think it's reasonable.  Given that upstream has
stated that 0.12.x will actually be supported long-term, this is a sane
and responsible way to keep stable users stable.

I don't think removing trac from wheezy is a good idea.

> The only drawback is, that during the time until jessie, new
> major versions of trac (1.2, 2.0, ...) might hit backports.
> Which means, that users cannot assume any stability for a
> predictable time.

I agree that we want to provide stability for users of stable (that's
the one of the main points!) i think we should *not* try to encourage
all users to use backports precisely for the reason you describe above.

We can also branch the packaging work and maintain a wheezy branch
separately if there are new LTS releases from upstream.

If y'all are ok with this, i can go ahead and make an unstable release
of 0.12.5 over the next few days, and try to write up a review of the
changes to propose for the first wheezy point release.

	--dkg