[Python-modules-team] Backporting of python-zmq

Joe Healy joehealy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 15:37:18 UTC 2013

Hi Julian,

I've backported python-zmq to squeeze and wheezy. There was some minor
work required for squeeze, but wheezy was trivial.

For squeeze, I have unfortunately removed support for python 2.5 and
3.1 due to use of the construct described at [1]. It could be patched
in, but I feel the work is more than would useful. If you disagree, I
would really appreciate a proposal for a good way to deal with this.

I've uploaded the packages to my own server as I have had trouble
uploading more than one version of a package at a time to
mentors.debian.org.

The notes I took for each backport are below, along with the URLs for
the .changes and .dsc files. These files have been signed with my key
"F2AE6AB9", which I don't think has entered the keyring yet, but has
been signed by 2 Debian Developers.

As the changes for squeeze were non trivial, I've included the diff as
well at the URL listed below.

I'm happy to receive feedback on the backporting and make any changes
required, otherwise if you are happy with them, I would really
appreciate you uploading them.

After these are uploaded, I'll be backporting salt.

Could you please upload these once you have had a chance to look at
them?

Thanks very much,

Joe

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3110/#semantic-changes
    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3110/#compatibility-issues

* Squeeze

Version: 13.1.0-1~bpo60+1

- Removed support for python3.1 and python2.5 as the code used a
  construct not compatible with either:

  try:
  except Exception as e:

  It is probably possible to patch around this, but it is unlikely to
  be a useful exercise.

Changes required to:
- debian/changelog
- debian/rules