[sane-announce] Sane-backends 1.0.27 has been released

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon May 22 22:51:24 UTC 2017

2017-05-22: SANE-Backends-1.0.27 (see Note 1) has been released:

* Significant enhancements to canon_dr, epjitsu, epsonds, fujitsu,
genesys, hp3500, pixma and xerox-mfp backends.
* Minor updates, bugfixes or scanners added in several backends.
* 30+ new scanner models supported.
* Made libusb-1.0 the default for USB support (see Note 2).
* Switched code from C90 to C99 (Thanks to Volker Diels-Grabsch).
* Updated Linux USB3 workaround (see Note 3).
* Documentation and translation updates.
* Bugfixes (Avahi, threading, USB, ICC/PNG/JPEG, etc).
* Reduced compiler warnings, improved code (see Note 4).

Note 1: There is no 1.0.26 release of sane-backends. That number was
skipped so that our development version numbers would more clearly be
an extension of the prior release. This should make packaging a little
easier for our downstream users.

Note 2: On all systems, the --enable-libusb* flags are now ignored.
Instead, the --with-usb and --without-usb flags now control support.
When neither is given, USB support will be enabled if possible and
disabled otherwise. If --with-usb is requested but not possible,
./configure will fail. There is no support to prefer libusb-0.1 over
libusb-1.0. When libusb-1.0 is not found, libusb-0.1 will be tried.

Note 3: The Linux USB3 workaround which was added in version 1.0.25 is
now disabled by default. If you have difficulty using a scanner which
previously worked, or intermittent scanner availability, try setting
the new environment variable SANE_USB_WORKAROUND=1 before starting
your frontend.

Note 4: A special thanks goes to Olaf Meeuwissen for picking up the
janitorial duties in sane-backends. He has found and fixed a large
number of long-standing bugs, curated our bug tracker, improved our
build scripts and docs, and provided user support. Thank you Olaf!

More information about sane, and links to download are available at
http://sane-project.org/

allan

of my hand"