[sane-devel] Epson perfection 1650 and negative film scans

Karl Heinz Kremer khk at khk.net
Mon Apr 8 01:41:21 BST 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 01:18:41AM +0200, Henk Abma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I bought an epsop perfection 1650 recently, installed sane 1.0.7 and had
> great results with scanimage in a few minutes after unpacking. Great!!!
>
> However attempting to scan a negative slide produced results that look
> unimpressive! http://f33158.upc-f.chello.nl/foto3.jpg is an example.

That's because you have to do all the image manipulation to get from
a negative scan to an acceptable positive yourself. You can use a frontend
that does this step for you or at least makes it easier (e.g. XSane or
IScan!), but it is possible to do it manually and get good results.
I have a short step by step instruction on my web site
(http://khk.net/sane/gimp_negative_scanning.html).

> Also before scanning begins I get a 'receive error [3] status code = 9'
> (only with the negative scans) and a next scans from negatives gives screens
> full of status code 5 messages.

This is very likely a timeout condition that is caused by an older
kernel. Which kernel version are you using?

Karl Heinz

Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk at khk.net
PGP Key at                 http://www.khk.net/download/khk.asc
EPSON Sane Backend:                         http://www.khk.net