[sane-devel] GUI for sane configuration

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch at rauch-domain.de
Mon Apr 15 23:20:33 BST 2002

Oliver Schwartz wrote:

> I think there are cases where user interaction is still necessary. Consider
> for example the path to a firmware file which has to be configured. Since
> firmware files cannot be freely redistributed this would be very hard to do
> without user interaction.

I am not sure if we need a gui for this, a simple error message of the kind:

copy agfa snapscan xyz firmware file blah.abc to /usr/local/share/sane/agfa/firmware/

would do the same.

> Another example are scanner types for USB scanners
> on systems that don't support vendor / product ID queries via ioctl.

I think in this case the main effort should be to add support for vendor / product ID
queries
and ioctl functions to the system.

It always produces more problems when you create a workaround for a problem instead of
removing the primary problem. We should take care not to make this fault.

I am not against configuration-GUI if it makes sense, but we should try to make
sane run out of the box, that is much more user friendly than a configuration-GUI.

Bye
Oliver

--
Homepage:	http://www.rauch-domain.de