[sane-devel] SANE i18n: only one translation file per language?

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch at rauch-domain.de
Sun Dec 1 11:19:22 GMT 2002

There is one problem with this.
In the moment the backendss have implemented some options in different
ways. I think it is impossible to create a common translation for
all backends.

I suggest to do it this way:

- each backend has its own translation table
- there is one common table for backends that do not have a translation table
- the frontend tries to open the backend translation table at first
- when this fails it opens the common translation table.

It is simple to avoid the problems with saneopts texts:
When the backend uses its own texts:
  scanner->opt[OPT_GEOMETRY_GROUP].title = SANE_I18N("Geometry");

when the backend uses an option of saneopts.h:
  scanner->opt[OPT_NEGATIVE].name  = SANE_NAME_NEGATIVE;

An additional way to make sure that we do not have double
definitions is to add a space " " at the end of the saneopts definitions.
Then this text gets its own entry in the translation table.

Oliver