[sane-devel] Unable to access minor data

Alexis alexisc at tinyonline.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 21:30:00 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 9:08 pm, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Did you do "rmmod scanner" before? Otherwise the modprobe does nothing.

I did.  I just rebooted and tried it again too!  That puts me in mind, is
there anything I could maybe pass via lilo to the kernel?

> > S:  Manufacturer=PRIMAX
> > S:  Product=Colorado USB 19200
> > C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=100mA
> > I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=ff Driver=(none)
> > E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=  0ms
> > E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=   1 Ivl=  0ms
> > E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=  0ms
>
> Oh, well, this device has three bulk endpoints. two in and one out. I
> have never seen this and I'm not sure, if the scanner driver can
> handle this.
>
> You should see error messages in syslog if it can't handle this device.

Only that it is not claimed by any active driver.  I would have thought that
the kernel patch would be designed to cope with this anyway.  The driver also
requires some support files taken from windows, which I assume also factor
into supporting this.  The thing about endpoints is completely meaningless to
me, I'm afraid!  Somehow I think I am going to learn anyway.... :-)

Is it possible that the scanner is faulty?  In such a way that it will work
with windows but not with Linux?  The twain driver for the scanner crashes
annoyingly often.  I have had the same problem with a serial port once on a
different machine (working in win but not lin, that is to say).
--
Alexis
Registered Linux User 276336.  The Penguin Rocks.