[sane-devel] Setting up USB Genius scanner

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Thu Dec 12 19:44:48 GMT 2002

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 04:13:16AM +0800, Andres Montiel wrote:
> I am trying to set-up my Genius ColorPage Vivid 3XE on RedHat 8.0.

Can you find out, which kind of chip is used by the scanner (by
opening it)? That may void your warranty, however.

The Genius ColorPage Vivid 3X works to some degree with the gt68xx
backend with some changes, and may be fully supported in future.
(http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx-backend/)

But your scanner uses a different id:

> P:  Vendor=0458 ProdID=2017 Rev= 1.00

So it may have a completely different chip.

> Thus, if I understand it correctly, the vendor ID is '0458', the product
> ID is '2017'. Are these correct values?

At least the vendor id is correct. The product is makes sense, too.

> The tutorial also says that I have to change the file
> /etc/sane.d/epson.conf

If it was an Epson scanner (or had Epson chips) that would be true.

> However, I cannot see a *.conf file for Genius scanners. What *.conf
> file shall I use?

As far as I know the scanner is not supported until now. So you can
either wait until someone writes adriver or start writing one yourself.