[sane-devel] Re: [hpoj-devel] xsane and xscanimage crash system

David Paschal paschal at rcsis.com
Mon Dec 30 12:46:07 GMT 2002

Scott Savarese wrote:
> When I am logged in as a normal (non-root) user xsane and xscanimage will
> crash (freeze) the system. It looks like the kernel freezes as well.
>
> I am using the latest downloadable sane and xsane downloads (versions
> 1.0.9 and 0.90) on an HP PSC 2210. I downloaded the latest package from
> hpoj.sourceforge.net and have that installed. I am running kernel 2.4.20
> Dec 29 13:50:19 src at skibum Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
> dereference at virtual address 000000cc

Hi, Scott.  You probably have an SMP (multi-processor) system.  There is
some sort of kernel bug in the USB printer-class driver that breaks the
hpoj driver on SMP systems.  You can work around it by upgrading to the
latest CVS version of the hpoj code.  Make sure you have libusb installed
on your system, run "/sbin/rmmod printer", and move printer.o out of the
/lib/modules tree so it never gets loaded later due to a hotplug event.
Let me know if this works for you.

Since this is related more to hpoj than SANE, please direct any follow-up
discussion to the hpoj-devel mailing list (thanks to the sane-devel folks
who replied already).

David