[sane-devel] umax_pp questions

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Tue Jul 2 10:25:50 BST 2002

Hi,

I'm not an parport expert at all, I had just a look at the man page,
so I may be wrong.

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 07:56:36PM -0400, Steve Brenneis wrote:
> Port 0x378 resets my printer (it is on a feed-through attached to the
> scanner) and prints the following:

So I guess it's the right port.

> According to the commentary and the man pages, I should be configuring
> the driver to use 0x3c8 since it is attached to /dev/lp0.

The manpage says: "Note that if you are using a Kernel 2.2.x or
better, the first parallel port is named lp0 regardless of the base
address.". So 0x378 is probably right.

> This doesn't seem right since the old driver always found the scanner
> on 0x278.

Maybe with an older Kernel?

The man page also states:

"This backend does support parport sharing only if you have a kernel
with ppdev support."

Did you try without your printer? You don't seem to use the ppdev
module. Did you try using /dev/parport0 instead of the port numbers?