[sane-devel] Mustek backend not scanning full page

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Jul 7 00:30:18 BST 2002

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 10:28:38PM +0100, Eric Ritchie wrote:
> I can quite happily make perfect quality scans at very
> decent scanning speeds, however, they are just a
> little bit short. The Mustek scanner should have a
> scannable area of 29.7 (A4) by 22cm (A4 plus a bit?).
> Unfortunately the preview scans of both xsane and
> xscanimage are 28.7 by ~21 cm which crops the end off
> a sheet of A4. I can see no way of adjusting this
> limit (which I assume has been set to prevent hardware
> damage).

That's mostly a hardware misfeature. The scanner just can't scan the
whole marked scan area. It can't even scan full A4. But you are right,
the height is a bit too short, it can be encreased to about 292 mm.
Increasing it even more doesn't help, because the scanners firmware
automatically crops the image in this case.

Increasing the width to e.g. 220 mm doesn't help either, because the
scanner sends back just garbage data after more then 215 mm.

I will at least increase the height a bit for the next backend version.

If you want to try, get the source code of sane-backends-1.0.8, edit
backend/mustek.c, search for

  else if (strncmp ((SANE_String) model_name, "MFC-06000CZ", 11) == 0)

and change the x_range.max and y_range.max values.

Please keep me informed about your results. Maybe only my scanners
behave this way.

Can you test if the scanner does the same on MS Windows?