[sane-devel] Permission denied on parallel port Epson Expression636

Petr Hlustik phlustik at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 18 05:46:30 BST 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 08:19:58PM -0400, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 07:48:04PM -0500, Petr Hlustik wrote:
> > Well, after I've written all this, I remembered I brought in my Debian
> > Sarge laptop - so I installed sane there and tried the scanner there after
> > modyfing the sane.d/epson.conf. I ran sudo xsane just fine. I guess I did
> > mess up the parallel port on my desktop box after all. :-(
>
> I doubt that you've messed up the parallel port. It's more likely that
> you did something to the configuration of your system that makes your
> scanner unuseable.
>
> I would try to recreate the configuration you had when the scanner worked.
> I know that this is pretty complicated, but I am pretty sure that this
> will work.

I have to confess the whole thing was due to a connection problem. I must
have kicked the parallel cable, though I swear I checked that the connector
sits in OK. I guess what fooled me was that some information seemed to be
getting through.

Sorry for that and thanks very much for your patience with me.

Best,
Petr