[sane-devel] Re: Sane on Ultra Sparc

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Sat Jan 11 19:32:21 GMT 2003

T. Ribbrock wrote:

>>The question that ought to be answered by Abel (?) is whether it
>>makes sense to globally switch to the old interface for sparc for
>>the sake of simplicity - I do not know how big is the performance
>>impact of this.
>

> Performance is only one issue - you mention the other one below: 64bit
> will come back to bite... :-} Not only in the x86 arena, also on the
> Sun market - the prices of second hand UltraSparcs are dropping and
> among them are quite a few nice machines to play around with at
> home...:-)

For a long term solution, we'll need support from the kernel developers.
The fact that Sane uses the write/read interface to access SG devices
makes things indeed a bit difficult. Generally, the write and read
functions should not change the data in any way, but for the SG
interface, the situation is different. When the SG3 interface is used,
the SG driver needs to know, if the data was passed from a 32 bit or a
64 bit application in order to properly deal with the pointers passed as
the read / write data.

Abel

>>P.S. Schönes Wochenende!
>

> Danke, gleichfalls! :-)